Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Dining Room Clock Redo

Awhile ago...pre-blog...I redid my dining room clock. At first I didn't want to change it because it was a Christmas gift from my wonderful Mother in Law a few years ago. But then, our oldest son started kindergarten and started asking a lot of questions about the clock and the time and so on. It's kind of hard to teach them about telling time when the clock face is in Roman Numerals. I began looking for a new clock. Long story short~too expensive! Especially since I already had the kind of clock I needed and wanted! So I decided I'd brave it, redo it and use vinyl for the numbers.


It had a faux crackle face with a yellow tint and numbers in black. It was attached to a full circle metal frame.

I removed all the screws and took the frame off. I then took the clock hands off. I thought that part would be easy peasy lemon squeezy BUT it was probably the most time consuming task of the whole project! It isn't easy to find a thin (maybe even super thin) tiny wrench to get in under there and take it a part.
Whew! Taken a part. Let's begin. =)
I sanded and sanded and sanded some more. The faux crackle didn't want to come off. So finally I decided that whatever was left would just add texture.  I left it. I wish now I wouldn't have tried sooo hard to get it off and would have left a little more. Anyway done.
I primed it. Then added two coats of Merlot and a coat of Bittersweet when the Merlot was dry. I sanded it lightly to blend/mix the two colors. Then I gave it a SW's Divine White topcoat and sanded again.

I created clear big numbers in my software. Then used my Silhouette to cut out my Up Words & On Words dark brown vinyl numbers.
I applied application tape to the numbers and worked with the positioning of the numbers until I was happy. Now mind you...perfect and happy are different. lol But, I tried.
I put the hands back on...again~not an easy task.
I did not put it back on the metal frame. I am betting that metal frame will find it's way into another project!
Added a saw tooth hook to the back and
 enlisted my SUPER Mr. to help me hang it up. What a swell fella! =)

And here it is

(if you tilt your head slightly, the 3 won't look crooked)
Aside from the 3 the numbers turned out pretty good. And one of these fine days when I am cutting designs in dark brown, I will remember to make another 3 and do a swap-a-rooskie!

I actually really like it. That's not to say I {LOVE} it and I won't ever redefine it though! lol

Partying @ The Following:
Show and Tell Linking Pary @ Blue Cricket Design:
Whassup Wednesday @ Elements Interiors:
SNS #77 @ Funky Junk Interiors:
Thanks for stopping by! Have a great day!
Amaze Me Monday @ Dittle Dattle:
Motivate Me Monday @ Keeping It Simple:
Mad Skills Link Party @ Mad in Crafts:
Handmade Projects @ Tip Junkie:
Running With Glitter Link Party @ Running With Glitter:
Tuesday Glam Party @ Giggles, Glitz & Glam:
Anything Goes Party @ Type A Decorating:



  1. Love it!!!

  2. that is very cool, great transformation.

  3. If you are going for finest contents like me, only pay a visit this web site everyday because it presents feature contents,

    Feel free to visit my page :: curs expert achizitii publice anrmap - ,