Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Cabinet Door HOME sign

While it did this outside ALL day yesterday

(please excuse the lovely car in the background, it sits there everyday all day...nice view huh? *ugh*)
I did this:

Ok...so if we are counting...this is yes, the third cabinet door I have re-purposed. The first became a chalkboard, the second became a decorative tray and this third sign delivers a WOW factor all it's own. I am so excited with how it turned out. and I hope you all like it too.

BEFORE:
What!?? No before picture? *crud* I will get better at taking pictures before I jump in with both feet.
Anyhow~ this cabinet door was a light wood with no grain. I'm gonna give it my best guess that it was a maple cabinet with a dark glaze. =) Should I purchase another cabinet door that resembles it, I will update this blog with a picture.

All right then here we go!

I gently hand sanded the entire piece with fine grit sandpaper. It did a great job taking the shine off of it.
I wiped the dust off. I used a small foam roller and gave it good coat of  Wal-Mart's ColorPlace Natural Bark paint.


While it was drying, I cut out my Up Words & On Words vinyl design from my Silhouette using dark brown vinyl. LOVE being able to put this mighty lil machine on my table and cutting quick projects! I have a larger plotter for my business but having the Silhouette came in pretty handy today.

I prepared the vinyl lettering by weeding all the excess and applying application tape for the transfer process. I measured, measured and re-measure making sure to put the HOME in the perfect place.

I placed application tape scraps across the top and created a "hinge." I peeled the vinyl lettering and application tape away from the backing paper and pressed the lettering down.

HELPFUL HINT:
Use a warm (doesn't necessarily need to be warm but it does help), damp rag and rub over the application tape once it's where you want it to be. The dampness will help the application tape release the lettering so you won't have to work so hard getting the lettering to transfer!


 Lettering on the painted cabinet.


Haphazard dry brush with Sherwin Williams Antique White.
Before it dries completely, peel away the vinyl lettering.

The H came off so nicely. *sigh* But when I peeled away the other letters they pulled the paint off and exposed the wood underneath. I quickly decided...FAB!

I used my palm sander and sanded the piece with fine grit sandpaper. I distressed the H to expose the wood underneath like the other letters. And pressed the sander in various places to distress it further. I wiped away the dust. I used  Walnut Distress Ink to lightly stain the front. I then added life. laughter. love in brown vinyl lettering and used the Distress Ink to stain the edges, corners and random areas in the middle.

Here is how it turned out
NOW:


Giddy! I sure wish I had more of these cabinet doors...I'd like to create one with different colors, more color.

Anything Goes Party #9 @ Type A Decorating:http:
Blue Cricket Design Show & Tell @ Blue Cricket Design:
Homemade Projects @ Tip Junkie:
Wow Me Wednesdays @ Polka Dots on Parade:
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Chic Cottage:
Hookin' Up @ House of Hepworths
Mad Skills Party @ Mad in Crafts
Creative Juice Thursday #16 @ Momnivore's Dilemma:
http://www.momnivores-dilemma.com/2011/03/creative-juice-thursday-16-features-and.html
Tutorial Tuesday @ Hope Studios:

Monday:
Paint Projects Link Party @ Centsational Girl:
Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop @ Homemaker on a Dime
Get Your Craft On @ Today's Creative Blog

Have a great day!
 Carri

48 comments:

  1. Carri - it looks fabulous! Great job! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a wonderful job on this sign - definitely something I could see making ... I especially love the combination of lettering styles!

    Welcome to the blogging world :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Clydia~ Thank you! And thanks for stopping by!

    @ Kristin~ Thank you for stopping by. This was pretty easy to make and I am very glad it turned out how I had hoped. I created the designs. I love working with words and fonts and their "relationship."

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks fabulous!! Great job! Thanks for linking up and be sure to add a link to Wow Me Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH Jaime...sorry about that!:( I just added it. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love this! i want one. lol great job. thanks for sharing this at my party!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is fabulous! Great job!! I found you at Blue Cricket. Please come visit me @ http://barbwired0117.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely! I have some cabinet doors I need to do something with...

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Korrie...thank you! The possibilities are limitless, YAY! Have so much fun with them. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Amber~thanks for stopping by, by way of Blue Cricket. That link party is pretty spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I found you through Tip Junkie~ this is an awesome project!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Lesley~Thank you for stopping by! I so appreciate it. Isn't Tip Junkie awesome?? lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your sign. I'm thinking about make a sign that says "Herbs", but I guess I'll have to hand-letter it. I'm a new follower and I'm fairly new to blogging, too. Come visit me and follow me as well.
    Jane
    http://cottageatthecrossroads.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Jane! Thanks also for stopping by. I visited your blog and I'm followin' ya! =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE THIS!!!!!!!! Awesome job!


    http://www.iheartmygluegun.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Carrie this is beautiful! I love the neutral colors and over all distressed look of it. I still haven't bought any vinyl for my machine and I've had it almost a year! Thanks for linking up to my VIP party today =)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful! And I love that 2nd font! What's it called? So elegant.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Donna~ Thank you! I searched forever for that font! =) It is called Ambassador Script and it has 12 different font variations in the 'True Type and Postscript Type 1 versions.' Thanks so much for stopping by and hosting SNS!

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Kara~Thank you for hosting! ;) I hope to have something new and fun for the next WHASSUP WEDNESDAY.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am really liking all these beautiful pieces that use vinyl! So creative!

    If a person wanted to recreate this at home what is the best vinyl cutting system to invest in for crafting purposes? Is there a system for a Mac?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. @wc~Thank you for stopping by. There are a few options for vinyl machines for crafting purposes. The Cricut, the Silhouette and the eCraft. I am not too familiar with the Cricut or the eCraft (but kind of wanted this one after I bought my Silhouette). And I am only barely familiar with my Silhouette because it is new. I have a commercial size cutter that I usually use. But I am learning new things every time I use the Silhouette. For more information or for perhaps...lol...better information check out this link from Tip Junkie on Facebook. Hopefully it will open and you can read the comments posted. Good luck!
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/tipjunkie/posts/10150109639934390

    If you aren't able to get the information you need, you can post your question to Laurie at Tip Junkie and her friends will help ya out! They are a great group!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love how your sign turned out...plus, great job distressing it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. @Anne~Thank you so much. Thanks too for stopping by and leaving me a comment. I truly appreciate it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. So cute! Love it. Found you at the DIY Showoff and a new follower. Still new at all of this too.

    kelly

    ReplyDelete
  25. @Kelly~Welcome! Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment and for following me. So glad to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I want a Silhouette, where is the best place to get one? Your newest follower. Hope you'll come and visit me too!

    ReplyDelete
  27. looks great...so creative...I'm now following...check out my blog...hosting a giveaway...happy Monday, Mariaelena

    ReplyDelete
  28. @Tammy~ I purchased mine online @ http://www.silhouetteamerica.com/ Their support team is awesome so don't be afraid to ask questions. Check around blog land though because some bloggers have a code word you can use at checkout and you can get vinyl and other goodies at a discounted price. I am trying to think who has a code...*drawing a blank* Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  29. @Mariaelena~Thank you. I think I am a follower of yours already...if not I will for sure find you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  30. @Mariaelena...yep, I'm a followin' you! Look out! lol. =)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love this!! It turned out great.
    I featured this on my blog today. You can check out the post here:
    http://justbeckause.blogspot.com/2011/03/blog-head-monday-5.html

    Have a great day!

    <3Becky
    justbeckause.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. @Becky~Thank you! I will go check it out right now!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is beautiful! :0) Can you tell me what font you used for the "live..." part at the bottom? I love it!
    Great job and thanks for sharing!
    ~robin

    ReplyDelete
  34. hi, i would like to feature this and your coat rack on my next revival monday please let me know if this would be ok. i wanted to email you but couldnt find an email address.

    ReplyDelete
  35. @Lauren~I sent you an email message from upwordsandonwords@hotmail.com...that's me too/also/ as well as Redefining C. lol Just in case you check back here~~>absolutely, yes, please use my HOME sign and coat rack. Thanks so much! =)

    ReplyDelete
  36. It's fabulous! I'm your newest following from The Lettered Cottage's blog party today...off to check out your store now.

    http://SallyLeeByTheSea.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. It's perfect..thanks for sharing..xo

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi there, I'm just discovering your blog through the centsational girl's paint party. I have just started painting signs...and I love this one! I was going to ask what the second font was, but see that you've already answered that question. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Awesome sign project! You did a fabulous job! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh my goodness, this is beautiful. You did an excellent job on it. I want a Silhouette so badly. It's basically magical. Do you know the main difference between a cricut and a silhouette? I am wanting to make a big crafting purchase but am not sure which one to buy...
    decisions, decisions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hello, I cannot see what the name of the font is on the life laughter and love portion. Would you share that?

    ReplyDelete