Saturday, March 19, 2011

Coffee Order Board

When I looked down and saw this while toodling around Goodwill, I stopped dead in my tracks and jerked back to it. *whip lash* Oh the possibilities. I couldn't find a price tag so while trying to track an employee down my mind was racing. "I hope no one else wants this...I hope no on else wants this." I don't know why it is but if you ever notice once one person shows interest in something there are at least two waiting for you to put it down, walk away or frown when you take it with you. Employee found!! YAY. $9.99 Done! From the sticker on the front of the mirror I gather it was a framed mirror from a hotel. The sticker had the check out time but little else was readable.

Here's the before:

(notice the smudged part...it worked great...you couldn't really see me taking the picture, lol)
Great bones on this piece, solid for sure.

Isn't this corner hardware piece neat? They came on all four corners. Nice.

I took the mirror out and the wood board at the bottom.
staples galore!

I sanded it my hand sander and medium sandpaper and gave it two coats of spray primer.
I had all kinds of big dreams of leaving it open BUT then decided to use wide slat wainscoting to fill it. With the help of the Mr., we cut them to size. OH YEAH!! Here's what that idea brought about:
Likey.
At some point I decided to cork the board that I removed from the bottom. And cover it with burlap. Sadly, I don't have any pictures. Darn it! I used mod podge and guled (2) 12" x  12"pieces of cork to the board and let dry. Then covered it with burlap. Needless to say...it took several tries and trimming to get the board back in it's original spot. But I did it!

I painted the frame Sherwin Williams Divine White and distressed with my sander. {swoon}

I also painted the slats DW.
I cut the vinyl lettering on my new Silhouette machine.
I used the color: Nut Brown
I measured and measured and ReMeasured the placement of my vinyl words.
And once I was sure I transferred them to the slats.
This step was very time consuming but worth it!

 I used Gorilla Wood Glue to glue my slats in place. I put vegetable cans on them for some weight and let it dry overnight. Please don't laugh about the cans...they worked a miracle.

I spray painted the corner hardware Anodized Brown by Rustoleum. (LOVE) 

Once the glue was dry, and the burlap board was back in, I added 4 small thumb tacks to the burlap for "just in case" I want to pin something there. I placed the hardware back in the corners and the Mr. added the hanging hardware to the back and hung it on my kitchen wall.

And this is what it looks like NOW:

(this is what we order when we stop at a coffee kiosk)
{squeel}
The perfect order!

Linked to SNS #73 @ Funky Junk Interiors
Linked to Designer Garden's VIP Party
Linked to The DIY Show Off Project Parade:
Linked to the Motivate Me Monday party @ Keeping It Simple:
Linked to the M.M.M party @ C.R.A.F.T:
Linked to Tuesday Glam Party #20 @ Giggles, Glitz & Glam:
Linked to Amaze Me Monday @ Dittle Dattle:
Linked to Anything Goes Party #9 @ Type A Decorating:
Linked to Blue Cricket Design Show & Tell @ Blue Cricket Design:
Linked to Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Chic Cottage:
Linked to Hookin' Up @ House of Hepworths

Paint Projects Link Party @ Centsational Girl:



Have a Great Day!
Carri



15 comments:

  1. Carri I'm so happy you linked this, I love it! Can't wait to see what you have to bring to the party each week =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I love moments like that in any store! Its a shopping rush! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Accidental Crafter~Thank you! I love how it turned out and the good part is that it is easily changeable if I get tired of it. *Or if I ever (highly unlikely) quit drinking coffee* lol. A rush is the perfect way to describe it. I could hear my heart pounding while I waited for the lady to get a price for me. It was a good day at Goodwill! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Heidi! And thank you for stopping by!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this!!! I am a total coffee addict!! =) Oh, and your Etsy shop is awesome!!

    ~Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! This is great not just because it started as a 9.99 mirror but because you made it into a coffee sign (of sorts) I have a friend who needs one of these in her house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Chandeen...I am super happy with how it turned out! Thanks for looking! Oh and I still have the mirror, it was in great shape...it will become a project some day! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a great idea, I don't think I would have ever thought of it! I LOVE it! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Megan~ Thank you! I love love love it. I think my hubby was skeptical at first but I think he sees my vision now. lol. He's lucky I didn't add, "extra sweet" to his french vanilla latte. hee hee =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is sooo much fun!
    ~Kimberlee
    www.TheSpunkyDiva.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just found your blog and am your newest follower. This board is super cute. Thanks for the great blog and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ Brandy~ Welcome! Thanks for stopping by! YAY...I am so glad you like the board. I just started my blog last week so if you hurry, you can get all caught up. lol Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. As a mocha latte drinker, I very much appreciate this project! :) LOVE what you did with that mirror. Great makeover! I'm visiting from Centsational Girl's party today. Hope you'll stop by my blog to say hi! :)

    ReplyDelete