Thursday, March 17, 2011

California Olive Desk Re-Do

This shabby little desk at Goodwill was screaming, "take me home." But the $20 price tag was telling me to, "think about it." I thought about it. I looked it over. I debated. I purchased it! Excitement was only apparent by my giddiness. It had great bones, lots of potential and well...I knew exactly where I wanted it to go.


Sorry for the poor photo quality. Although I have a great camera, I have neglected to learn how to use it!



I gave her a little TLC with some wood putty. I maybe should have sanded first and then filled in the divots but I did it this way and what didn't work out perfectly just added to her charm.
I let the putty dry and gave her a good sanding. Whatever paint, coating...lord only knows what it was sanding down to the wood. That was a nice surprise. It made for more sanding but also a nice smooth surface.
After sanding, I wiped away the dust and used Krylon spray primer and gave her two coats of primer. I painted her Ace Hardware's Ventura Highway and topped her off with Sherwin William's Divine White. I distressed her drawers, used Distress Ink (in the stamping section of Hobby Lobby) on the edges, gave her two coats of Krylon spray sealer and added bronze pull knobs.  

Introducing....California Olive (that's her name).


(eek...the pic is a little crooked, compliments of the person who doesn't know how to run her camera)

She has made herself right at home and I love her!
Head back to Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Chic Cottage for more great projects

Linked to SNS #73 at Funky Junk Interiors at http://www.funkyjunkinteriors.blogspot.com/ check there for more great DYI ideas and projects.

Linked to Miss Mustard Seed:

Paint Projects Link Party @ Centsational Girl:

Carri


9 comments:

  1. WOW.... I wish I had held onto my husbands old desk. You did such a good job.

    Thanks for the great idea.
    Buffie
    http://scrappingwithbuffie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. AND I'm happy to be your first follower!

    Buffie
    http://scrappingwithbuffie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Buffie for both! I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute little desk...and it cleaned up nice!
    Welcome to blogland...

    ~i like olive, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pat @ Corn in my Coffee-Pot~ thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lookin Good :)
    and good luck with your new site.
    mindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Mindy! I am super excited. Maybe it will motivate me to stay motivated. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How funny, I think it is my desk twin sister!!
    I like the olive green and the knobs are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my word, that IS hilarious Carri! Both of us did a great job on revamping our poor little desks! Thanks for letting me know on my blog so that I could share a laugh with you.
    Aubrey from Small Packages

    ReplyDelete