Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Old Fashioned Mini Gate

This little cabinet door was a super good find. I found it amid the other cabinet doors at the local ReStore and scooped it up. I searched high and low for it's soul mate but came up one hand empty. :( My trip prior to this one, landed me 2 NOT 1 but 2 larger cabinet doors like this. I was uber hoping to find the other mini door but alas, nothing. I was going to take the larger cabinet doors and create old fashioned style wooden gates out of them. I thought they would great to display on a mantle. They are a little heavy so imagine my excitement {inside squeal} when I found the mini one. OH YEAH!! And off we go.

 BEFORE: (mostly)

I sanded the lil door down. Then cut a broken ruler with an exacto knife and some carpentry knife the Mr. had in the garage. I placed the ruler and drew the angle lines and cut it. I am not a math whiz...I DO NOT work well with numbers...I REFUSE to work with percentages or ratios or angles or well...ruler marks that aren't 1/4", 1/2", 3/4" or full inches. Weird right? My Mr. is a MATH superstar. Yay, me!

Oh yeah...on with it. I used gorilla wood glue and glued the ruler in place. I used paint tape to hold it there.


Once it was dry, I primed it.
I dry brushed it with Eddie Bauer's Bittersweet and painted the line where the panels meet.
I was hoping the dry brushing and filled lines would add a little extra once I sanded it. I painted it Sherwin Williams Divine White and sanded it. I distressed it with Walnut Distress Ink. Sadly, I think I need to purchase more Distress Ink. It's sooo much fun!!

And here is my mini old fashioned gate that will hopefully sit on my one-day, yet to be built mantle.

NOW:



I plan to add hinges so hopefully my next trip to the ReStore will offer up some FUN hinge options. Can't you just picture this with Rustoleum's Anodized Bronze hinges?? MY, oh MY!

Partying @ the following:
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Chic Cottage:
Hookin' Up With House of Hepworths @ House of Hepworths:
Catch A Glimpse Party @ A Glimpse Inside:
SNS #75 @ Funky Junk Interiors
Partying at the following:
Market Yourself Monday @ Sumo's Sweet Stuff:
DIY Show Off Project Parade @ DIY Show Off:
Motivate Me Monday @ Keeping It Simple:
Mad Skills Party #47 @ Mad In Crafts:
Amaze Me Monday @ Dittle Dattle:
Sundae Scoop Link Up @ I Heart Naptime:
Tip Me Tuesday @ Tip Junkie
Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps On The Porch:
Anything Goes Party #11 @ Type A Decorating:
Show & Tell Wednesday @ Blue Cricket Design:

Thanks for stopping by! Follow me and let's create some fun together.

Have a great day!
Carri



17 comments:

  1. Awesome! Love that! How creative to use the ruler!
    ~Bec

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Bec~Thank you! The ruler really pulled through for me this time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is REALLY nice! I need to hit our habitat store...I have heard they have some great finds, but haven't been there yet! I think a gate with the ruler showing would be fun too!

    www.kim-toomuchtimeonmyhands.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great! I love that you started with what you are putting on the mantle before you have the actually mantle! lol
    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Allison~Thank you for hosting! I have high hopes for a mantle. lol...it give me something to look forward too. OR at least an excuse to make new stuff. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Walmart carries some super cheap hinges you can "rustic up". I think they are under $2.00 each. Used them on my mantel gate . . . check it out! http://www.usinotto.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Kim...Thanks! I will check there. I found some SUPER options at the ReStore the other day. Just waitin' on sunshine and warmth so I can redefine them with a little spray paint. ;) I'm followin' ya too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is really cute! It is going to be a beautiful accessory on top of your mantle!!
    Hope you have a great weekend!
    Beth.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this - you did such a good job. Found you from house of hepworths. I would love to have you come and share this at my Fantastic Friday link party. http://ironvioletdesigns.blogspot.com

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cool and fun! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super cute! I want to something similar to the inside doors of our tv armoire.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Pamela...Thank you! Wide slat wainscoting and some narrow trim would probably work great! Light weight and thin too...;) FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  13. very cute, i love the look of barn doors.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What fun!! Great job, thanks for linking up!!

    ReplyDelete