Saturday, March 26, 2011

Shutter-Color-Music Love

I found a pair of these shutter closet doors at our local Habitat for Humanity ReStore. They were $5 a piece! SCORE. I needed them, wanted them, HAD to have them. Thankfully I assured the Mr. that they would turn out pretty cool. He wasn't on board but he loaded 'em up for me anyway. {aww...love him}

BEFORE:



Love the darkness (for sanding purposes)...detest the wood grain. I am SO not a wood grain kinda girl. :(
My apologies. I will work on embracing non-matchy matchy and non-symmetrical attributes.

I washed these babies up and gave 'em an all over sanding with fine grit sand paper. Cleaned the sanding dust off and primed only one of them with spray primer. Once dry...I gave that one two coats of Krylon's Pebble spray paint. {ohh la la} Then sanded it with my hand sander. I made sure to get that dark stain exposed. I went up and down the shutter part too! OH YEAH! I also used Walnut Distress Ink on the edges for a little deeper color where the sander (sander-person) took too much off.

The Mr. is a believer
NOW:


I set it in the corner of our great room.
(forgive the stand there...not sure what to do with it)



And placed my late Grandfather's guitar in front of it.
I can hear him singing, "Waitress, waitress...pretty 'lil waitress."


This may very well be my most FAVORITE picture of this duo. Look at how worn the guitar is! Dub played music like mad. He was a very talented musician. My Dad entrusted me to take good care of this morsel of our family history. [pride]


I dig this pic too.

I redefined the K. I scooped it up from the Mr.'s man cave, took it from black to a custom mixed blue for a pop of color. I distressed it with~~>YEP, you guessed it Walnut Distress Ink. Which is so much fun to work with. I wrapped it with brown satin ribbon and pinned the ribbon to the back of the shutter. Hello shutter-color-music LOVE.

Here's the trio.

$5? Umm...yes please!!

Linked to:
SNS @Funky Junk Interiors:
http://www.funkyjunkinteriors.blogspot.com/
Sundae Scoop Link Up @ I <3 Naptime:
http://iheartnaptime.blogspot.com/2011/03/sundae-scoop-link-up_26.html
DIY Project Parade @ The DIY Show Off:
http://thediyshowoff.blogspot.com/2011/03/diy-project-parade_27.html
Motivate Me Monday @ Keeping it Simple:
http://craftskeepmesane.blogspot.com/2011/03/motivate-me-monday-63.html
Tip Me Tuesday @ Tip Junkie
Blue Cricket Design Show & Tell @ Blue Cricket Design:
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Chic Cottage:
Hookin' Up With House of Hepworths @ House of Hepworths:
Tuesday:
Spray Paint Party @ Thrifty Decor Chick

Thanks for stopping by!
Have a great day!
Carri

4 comments:

  1. I have some old shutters I've been meaning to tackle ... you've inspired me to do it!
    I'm your newest follower!
    ~Bec@littlelucylu

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Bec~Welcome! Thanks for becoming a follower!I appreciate you stopping by and leaving such a great message! =) Shutters are fun, hard to find (at reasonable prices) and can be so versatile. Have fun working with them!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just bought my own set of shutters at our Restore. I have yet to tackle them because they have a horrible paint job that needs some major attention. Love how yours turned out!

    Found you through Shabby Chic Cottage's party. So glad I did!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how you distressed! I especially love shutter projects.

    ReplyDelete